The pandemic has paused the activities of the entire world for a period which was unimaginable months ago. Our industry in particular has seen a transitory downturn, the architecture and design industry dedicated to K-12 schools has also slowed down perceptibly. Since upcoming K-12 school projects are put on hold nationwide keeping a track of the progress of the existing projects is a prime concern. Social distancing might hamper in-person meetings to discuss layouts and designs but they can still brainstorm ideas and execute plans to keep their project move forward.
In many parts, school project discussions are continuing despite the challenges in order to provide children with post-pandemic school amenities. One of the major reasons for the continuity is that if the projects are delayed the costing would shoot up in the long run.
However, with technological inventions the designs need not be stopped, it can still continue but the question is how we can make it work feasibly in a remote setting.
Here are some few tips for school authorities to reimagine the learning space design for a post COVID world remotely:
1. Transparent use of communication: maintain frequent audio or video call as communication is crucial for everyone to stay up to date with information. With social media being relevant in today’s times make use of it thoroughly. For example, google hangouts can be used for face to face meetings and google sheets for the feedback process.
2. Develop a proper schedule: pushing things off may add up to delay of project and increase in costs. The cost of materials used for construction or furniture might increase and exceed the planned estimation. So it is better to do it as early as possible
3. Digitization of the process: get designers on board for quick renderings and other project elements and speed up the process with digital design boards and tap into website resources. To communicate with team members use google docs or other digital tools.
4. Remote meetings: get into remote meetings frequently to stay updated and connected throughout. Set an agenda in advance and discuss them in virtual meetings.
5. Look ahead and rise to the occasion: As the school authorities are planning for the next academic year, it is high time for them to work with design teams for the immediate challenges to cope up with learning and teaching techniques in the post-pandemic world.
The corona effect and distancing rules may be threatening for school construction and design this year but it doesn’t mean the project has to be completely halted. Using the tips outlined above we can track the progress of school projects to make it ready for children when they return to school.
The Changing Dynamics of Educational Infrastructure In terms of School Architecture and Interior Design
School Serv Designs
Opp to MIMS Cresenta, Main Road, Kannamangala
Village, Bidarahalli Hobli, Whitefield,
Bangalore-560115, Karnataka, India.
Contact Us : +91 95133 77282/ 83/ 84/ 85
( 9AM - 6 PM | Mon - Fri )